It’s that time of year again…RTP Directory time! I know I know, that totally flopped, and a directory is only so exciting on the surface, BUT, the aggregation of the data tells a great story. Check this out…
Number of Companies
- Holding steady at 170+
- Between early 2011 and 2012, RTP added about 1400 full-time employees, with total employment now well over 39,000
- We’re getting a better handle on contract workers and estimate that including those, the Park’s population is closer to 43,000-44,000.
- About half of RTP companies (45%) fall in the Biotech/Life Sciences category (which includes Ag-bio). These companies represent 23% of RTP employment. Many of our start-ups and early stage companies fall into the Life Sciences category as well.
- The second largest category is Information Technology, with 18% of companies representing 49% of RTP employment.
- RTP is home to 17 Scientific Associations and Institutes
- Other companies classify themselves as either Materials Sciences & Engineering, Clean & Green Technologies, Financial and Insurance Activities, Business and Professional Services, Other Service Providers.
- 43% of companies have fewer than 10 employees
- 88% of companies have fewer than 250 employees
- The median company size in RTP is 10.5 employees
- More than 75 companies in RTP are located in one of the 5 incubators/accelerators
- 8 buildings in RTP are LEED certified and 5 are LEED registered
- Several projects under construction will seek LEED
- Through the end of 2011, RTP companies have been issued 3,549 patents and 1,854 trademarks
As you can see, the Park continues to grow and the companies that call RTP home continue to do amazing things! If you’d like to read up on who’s who in RTP, visit our website and click on the RTP Directory promo button in the bottom right hand corner.